Friday, June 12, 2009

Second Hike

Hilary Mills Hazel wrote this blog entry.

So James blogged all about our relaxing “weekend” last week, but we decided that it was high time that we went on another backpacking trip.  After much deliberation, and three hours in the backcountry office planning out our entire summer, James decided that we should go to Seven Mile Hole.  By going to this particular campsite we would be camping inside the canyon, right next to the Yellowstone River. 

I was a little bit apprehensive about this trip after such an experience two we

ekends ago, but I was still up for it.

When we arrived at the trailhead, James told me that it would be basically flat up until the drop into the canyon.

Mostly flat.

Right away it was hilly, and then it was cliffy.  We lost our trail at one point kind of near the end of our trip, and had to hunt around

 until we found it.  After three prospective trailheads, we finally found one that was obviously a trail.  We followed it for about ¾ of a mile, but were dismayed to discover that we took the wrong fork in the road.

We backtracked, and finally found our campsite.

Once we arrived we set up camp and made our meal.  Two other lost hikers found us, and we pointed them back up the hill to the fork.

I slept more warmly than I did last trip, and had an altogether better time.  The area was very lovely, and we were very close to the river, which was very fascinating.  Nevertheless, I was a bit bored by midday and decided that I would rather leave late a day early than leave early in the morning on the intended day.

After fighting my way out of the Canyon, I agreed with James.  It really was mostly flat once we got out.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent post. he-he, cliffy, he-he :D ... sounds like a good time and making a good memory ... I'll have to check your flicker for pics. Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Hilary's version of stories. They're more dramatic/humorous. I also like James' version, its descriptive/poetic.

    ReplyDelete