Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Identities

I worked my first shift as server Sunday evening at the Stir Fry station.  The best part of serving is getting to talk to the guests.

My favorite interaction was with a stocky, bearded man who approached my station with fervor for stir fry.  Noticing that he was scrutinizing my three sauces, I said, “We have sesame ginger, sweet & sour, and teriyaki sauces, if you were wondering their identities.”  “Identities,” he laughed, “I like the way you talk.”  After going back to the front of the calf to get a tray, he returned still laughing, “You’re killing me . . . identities.”

Thirty minutes later a woman came and starting looking at my food.  She pointed and asked in a European accent, “What are those?”  I told her, “They’re egg rolls – little fried things with vegetables inside.  They’re pretty good.”  After pausing for a few seconds she said, “I don’t like vegetables,” and abruptly walked away.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, James Everett Newman, you crack me up. Maybe not as much as you crack the stocky, bearded man up, though. Hope you're having fun!

    PS. Eggrolls do not taste like vegetables.

    ReplyDelete