Friday, June 26, 2009

Adventures galore

I’ve made a huge mistake.

In preparation for our most recent weekend I packed my backpack in a bit of a hurry.  James and I left Canyon in the late morning and arrived at our Thorofare TH (Trail Head) at 1:15.  It was at that point that I realized that I left my camera at home.  I regretted it immediately and continue to regret my huge mistake.  I was unable to photograph the wolf-prints and bear-prints that we saw all over our trail, and I was unable to capture the beautiful scenery on “film.”  The hike was breathtaking once we entered the forest, but it was hard to appreciate during our journey to our campsite.  James and I were attacked by Yellowstone’s most vicious animal – the mosquito – on our way to the campsite.  This hindrance made breaks impossible, so we consequently made our best time yet.

Still, the lakeside campsite was breathtaking.  I felt wonderful after taking a nap, and I built my first ever fire that allowed us to make S’mores. 

In other news:

James and I utilized our status as Xanterra employees to take the “Wake Up to Wildlife” bus tour with our friends Becky and Mary Kathryn.  The scenery was stunning, and the quality time with friends was absolutely wonderful.  We saw loads of bison, a small pack of wolves from very far away, and some pronghorn.  No moose.

James, our Michigan friend Katy, and a recent Rice graduate hiked to Observation Peak on Wednesday before work.  They had the pleasure? of seeing a Grizzly bear from the trail, which made me (secretly) grateful that I decided to sleep in.

3 comments:

  1. Are the mosquitos as big as the ones in Texas? Not that it's a contest...just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um why did i not realize the arrested development reference until now?

    ReplyDelete