Friday, May 29, 2009

The Calf

H. Hazel and I finished our week of training and are now well-equipped to serve food, bus tables, and keep all of the coffee and pop* machines up and running in the Canyon Lodge cafeteria. The “caf,” or as I call it – the “calf,” had a “shakedown” lunch yesterday, serving food to all of the Canyon Lodge staff to practice before serving park guests. Actual work is so much more fun and fulfilling than training; even bussing, which I supposed would be my least favorite of my jobs, isn’t so bad. As a bonus, we got to eat delicious shakedown breakfast and dinner in the CL dining room. I was even kind enough to pay for the $103 dinner for my table of four with the fake credit card the assistant manager gave me.

This is Canyon Lodge’s big opening day. I had been looking forward to being part of it: going to work (not training), serving food, and talking to people from all over the country and world. However, we found out yesterday afternoon that Hilary doesn’t start until Sunday and that I don’t start until tomorrow evening. The mild disappointment of missing opening day was quickly replaced by excitement at the prospect of getting to go on our first backpacking trip. If everything goes according to plan, we will hike to and camp at Ribbon Lake on the other side of the canyon.

*I’ve made several friends from Michigan who all refer to soda as “pop,” which entertains me. I am also very amused when they point out where in Michigan they live using their hand (because most of Michigan resembles a mitten). I also take great pleasure in their pronunciation of “Oregon” as “or-uh-gone.”

2 comments:

  1. I miss Sugar Bear. Hilary. Hilary is Sugar Bear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey James, I'm looking forward to seeing a picture from your first backpack. Will we hear from Hilary soon?

    ReplyDelete